Winter is the best time to snuggle up with a cozy bowl of soup.
And a warm bowl of soup to have is Pasta E Fagioli, also known as Pasta Fazool in New York Italian dialect. This classic hearty soup originates from Italy.
It typically includes small pasta like ditalini or elbow macaroni, cannellini beans and a base of celery, carrots and onions alongside tomatoes, which are usually stewed.
The pasta and beans makes for an extremely filling dish. One bowl of this soup will definitely be enough, but the flavors may still have you going for seconds.
There are many variations of the dish that include kidney beans as well and others that include meat like bacon, pancetta or ground beef. Some variations completely omit the tomato base and replace it with a broth.
With all the different versions of this dish, you are sure to find one that suits what you like.
If you want to make the classic version of this dish, follow the steps below!
- Chop up the vegetables into manageable sizes for the food processor. Add to the food processor and pulse a few times or until all the vegetables are finely chopped.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add the vegetables and sautee until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs, garlic and seasonings. Stir thoroughly.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes and mix. Lower the heat and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth and mix. Turn your heat to medium-high and allow the liquid to come to a boil.
- Add the pasta, stir, and let boil until the pasta is al dente.
- Add the beans and stir to incorporate. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Optionally, mix in some grated parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy!
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup ditalini or elbow macaroni
- 15oz cannellini beans
- 15oz red kidney beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated parmesan (to garnish), optional
83 total views