Looking for a quick and easy dish to whip up after a long day? I’ve got the recipe for you. The dish is called Spinach n’ Tofu.
Palak paneer is a North Indian Dish that originated in Punjab. Originally, when attempting to make this dish, I noticed that I was missing the main component: Paneer!
Paneer is an Indian cheese that is made from curdled milk and lemon juice. I noticed that I had tofu at home laying around, so decided to substitute the paneer with tofu.
I typically eat this dish with white rice. I love how citrusy, creamy, and refreshing the sauce is. The baked tofu has a great texture that compliments the sauce. It holds the flavor so well too.
Let’s get into how to make this dish!
- Cut up the tofu into bite sized pieces.
- Bake or air fry the tofu for 15 minutes at 350ºF.
- Put the baked tofu into a separate bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, 1 tsp of red chili powder, 1 tsp of salt, and 1 tsp of black pepper. Mix the tofu in these spices to ensure each one is coated.
- Cut up 1 ginger, 1 red onion, 1/2 jalapeño pepper, mint leaves, and 3 green chilis.
- Add oil, ginger garlic paste, and minced garlic to a pan on medium high heat. As the oil heats up, add the vegetables into the pan. Then add the spinach.
- When the vegetables finish sautéing, blend them up into a blender. Add the blended vegetables back into the heated pan.
- Now add the tofu pieces.
- Add the following spices: 1 tbsp of cumin powder, 1 tbsp of garlic powder, 1 tbsp of onion powder, 1 tbsp of basil powder, 1 tbsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of salt and pepper, 1 1/2 tbsp of red chili powder, and a sprinkle of chili flakes.
- Now add a dollop of heavy cream and 3 tbsp of whole milk yogurt to add the creaminess.
- To add the citrus component, add a couple squeezes of lemon juice.
- I like to add mint and coriander chutney to the dish to enhance the flavor. You can get the chutneys from the Indian store. I also add 1 tbsp of sun dried tomato pesto.
- lemon juice
- red chili powder
- salt and pepper
- red onion
- mint leaves
- green chilis
- ginger garlic paste
- minced garlic
- vegetable oil
- cumin powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- basil powder
- chili flakes
- heavy cream
- mint chutney (optional)
- coriander chutney (optional)
- sun dried tomato pesto (optional)