Nothing’s better than getting a fresh Chicken Shawarma from your local Halal cart guy topped with creamy garlic sauce and fresh veggies.
Chicken Shawarma has been around since the 19th century and originated in the Middle East. Since, it has become an extremely popular street food in a variety of countries including Syria, Iraq, Egypt and Kuwait.
This dish is typically made from lamb or mutton and is slow roasted on a turning rotisserie for hours. The meat is then cut thinly and added to a freshly baked flatbread or pita, and then topped with a variety of vegetables and sauces.
There are many modernized versions of this dish that use chicken, beef or turkey as the main source of protein. Specifically, Chicken Shawarma has become widely popularized throughout the United States and is the version of Shawarma that most people are familiar with.
No matter the protein used, the unique variety of spices used in this recipe like cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper and garlic add an extra depth of flavor like no other.
There are many ways to recreate this dish at home. Some people add the meat to skewers and grill or roast it, but the simplest way to make this tasty dish is on your stovetop.
If you’d like to recreate this recipe for yourself, follow the steps below!
- In a bowl, mix all dry spices. Add the oil, lemon, and tomato paste and mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken and marinate for at least an hour or up to overnight.
- Set a hot pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes per side, making sure not to overcrowd the pan!
- When all the chicken is done, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Now, it’s time to assemble!
- Optionally, warm your flat bread on the stove. Put a generous amount of the yogurt sauce on the bottom.
- Add chicken and all of your favorite toppings!
- Top with extra sauce if you’d like, and enjoy.
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like it!)
- Salt, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1lb chicken thighs, sliced thinly
- Flatbread or gyro wrap
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cucumbers, chopped
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Lettuce, shredded