Peanut Butter Chicken Stew is a traditional West African dish that has been enjoyed for generations. With its rich, nutty sauce made from peanuts and spices, and tender chicken, it’s a flavorful and hearty meal that can be enjoyed by many.
Originating in countries like Senegal, Ghana, and Nigeria, it’s a staple of the West African cuisine, where peanuts have long been a staple food.
This dish is easy to make, as it uses relatively simple ingredients like chicken, peanuts, and vegetables, which are widely available.
Over the years, peanut butter chicken stew has become increasingly popular outside of West Africa. Now a days, it’s widely enjoyed in African restaurants and homes, where it’s served as a comforting meal.
With its delicious blend of spices, tender chicken, and creamy peanut sauce, it’s easy to see why peanut butter chicken stew has become such a beloved dish.
Whether enjoyed in its traditional form or with modern twists and variations, it remains a classic dish in West African cuisine and a perfect choice for those seeking a hearty and satisfying meal.
If you’d like to make this recipe for yourself, follow the steps below!
- In a large pot, heat a little oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the same pot and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and stir to combine.
- Add the seasonings, chicken broth, peanut butter, tomato sauce and peanuts and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about an hour and a half, or until the sweet potato is tender, the chicken is cooked thoroughly and the sauce thickens.
- Optionally, add cilantro and stir.
- Serve hot with rice or crusty bread.
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 inch piece ginger, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 32oz chicken broth
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
145 total views