Nothing is better than snuggling up with a warm bowl of soup on a chilly winter day and the classic Italian soup, Zuppa Toscana will definitely do itself justice this season!
Originating in Tuscany, this soup includes celery, onion, carrots and garlic sautéed and simmered on low in a delicious broth alongside kale, potatoes, zucchini and cannellini beans.
A more modernized version has made this recipe even more delicious by adding crispy bacon, Italian sausage and cream.
This soup was also trademarked by extremely popular Italian food chain Olive Garden, but nothing beats the homemade recipe!
This delicious creamy soup pairs perfectly with toasted Tuscan bread and is sure to satisfy you with every bite.
If you’d like to make this recipe for yourself, follow the steps below!
- In a medium pot set to medium, add your bacon and cook until crispy. Set aside and drain.
- Next, add the sausage to the same pot (leave any excess oil that accumulated from the bacon) and cook until brown, about 7-10 minutes. Set aside and drain.
- Add in the vegetables and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add in the broth and seasonings and stir thoroughly.
- Add in the potatoes and bring to a boil. Change the heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add the bacon and sausage back to the pot and stir well.
- Add the kale and heavy cream. Let cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with parmesan and serve!
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage (spicy or sweet)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste