Summer is over and that means it’s time to break out the hearty stews and cozy soup recipes to welcome the fall.
Gumbo is one of those dishes you enjoy on a cold day snuggled up in your jammies. Originating in Louisiana, this dish incorporates a variety of cultures into one and will definitely warm you up on a chilly evening.
Using methods from African, French, Spanish and even Native American cuisine, the flavors in this dish are unlike any other.
It consists of a dark roux made from oil or butter and flour, cooked low and slow to add a rich flavor and dark color to the gumbo’s stock.
There are many variations to the protein added in the recipe, but typically, it includes shellfish and sausage. It also has a variety of vegetables like onions, celery, parsley and bell peppers. Optionally, okra can be added.
This flavor packed stew is always served alongside white rice and is a great meal to enjoy as a family or during celebrations.
If you’d like to make this recipe for yourself, follow the steps below!
- In a pot over medium-low heat add the oil and flour. Mix thoroughly.
- Cook for about 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure not to burn.
- The roux is ready once it has a chocolate brown color and a thick consistency. You can adjust the amount of flour and oil accordingly to achieve the right texture.
- Set aside.
- In a medium pan, coat the bottom with oil, and fry the sausages until brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Use about 1/2 cup of the chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Add the broth from the pan to a big pot along with the remaining broth.
- Add in all the vegetables, including the parsley and the roux. Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil.
- Let the vegetables simmer for about 5-7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the sausage, shrimp and chicken and stir well.
- Set the heat to low and cover. Let simmer until the shrimp is fully cooked through, and the broth is just the right consistency. (You don’t want your broth to be runny. Make sure it has a creamy consistency.)
- Once ready, serve over rice and enjoy!
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bunch celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 32oz chicken broth
- 12oz andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cups jumbo shrimp
- White rice, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste