During summertime, there’s nothing better than hanging around with family and friends enjoying great food straight off the grill.
Shish kebabs, a classic Mediterranean dish, uses a mix of marinated lamb and fresh vegetables to give you the perfect bite every time.
Although the meat and vegetables are typically seen on the same skewer, in Turkish culture they are grilled separately.
The lamb can also be replaced with beef, chicken, pork or fish.
The word shish derives from the Turkish language and translates to skewer or sword. Kebab refers to a roasted meat dish which depicts the dish perfectly.
Even though the dish is usually grilled, for those without a grill at home, there is a simple way to mimic the flavors and smokey char using an oven, so that everyone can enjoy the unique taste of a classic shish kebab.
If you’d like to find out how to make this recipe for yourself, follow the steps below!
- Deseed and cut bell peppers into 1-inch squares and set aside. Cut the onion into 1-inch squares and add to the peppers.
- Coat the peppers and onion mixture with half of the dry ingredients, half of the white wine and half of the olive oil. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- Cut the meat into 1-inch cubes and add to a bowl.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients, white wine and olive oil. Set aside and marinate for 1 hour.
- When the vegetables and meat are done marinating, preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Take a skewer and begin layering the meat, onions and bell peppers in vegetable then meat order until full. (I fit 5 pieces of meat per skewer)
- Repeat with remaining skewers.
- Add to a baking dish and let cook for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- If you’d like a char on the kebabs, set the oven to broil and allow to cook for another 3 minutes per side.
- Serve alongside lemon wedges and your favorite sides. Enjoy!
- 3 lb lamb or beef
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 8 tbsp lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
340 total views