Fettuccine Alfredo is a classic and irresistibly creamy dish that originated in Italy in the early 20th century.
Since then, it has made its’ way to nearly every Italian restaurant menu in the United States. However, the version on many menus across the country is not the traditional cooking method.
Traditionally, the sauce is made with two simple ingredients: butter and parmesan cheese. Now a days, many people add heavy cream or other ingredients to enhance the flavor.
Fettuccine Alfredo is typically served as a main course and can be cooked alongside grilled chicken or shrimp to give the dish more substance.
Fun fact: Fettuccine Alfredo was literally invented by a man named Alfredo, but the original name was actually fettuccine al triplo burro.
Even though Alfredo sauce has become extremely popular in the United States and is readily available at your local grocery store, it is always tastier when made at home.
The recipe is extremely simple and uses few ingredients, so put down the jar and prepare to never buy pre made Alfredo sauce again!
If you’d like to make this recipe for yourself, follow the steps below.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add water and season generously with salt. Bring the water to a boil, and add the pasta.
- Let the pasta cook per package instructions until al dente, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Set aside about 1/4 cup of pasta water. Then, drain the pasta and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and let cook until fully melted, stirring occasionally to prevent the butter from browning.
- Add in the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and stir thoroughly. Let cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add in the grated parmesan, stirring until fully incorporated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta water and pasta, stirring thoroughly to coat.
- Top with parsley and extra grated parmesan and enjoy!
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 4oz. unsalted butter
- 3-5 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley, to garnish
225 total views