Korma is a versatile dish that originated in India during the 16th century. It consists of meat that is marinated in a yogurt mixture along with spices to create a nice gravy.
The spiciness of this dish may vary depending on the amount of spice the cook decides to add to the recipe. These spices include coriander, garam masala, chili powder and a few others.
The dish can be made with chicken, lamb, goat or beef and occasionally can include vegetables like spinach or turnips.
The dish is not classified as an everyday dish, but known as a prestige dish that was often times prepared in court kitchens.
To enhance the flavors throughout this dish, the meat is first seared and then the sauce is added afterwards and simmered on a low heat to engulf the meat.
If you’d like to make this recipe for yourself, follow the steps below!
- In a mixing bowl, add chicken and all marinade ingredients.
- Mix well. Cover and set aside until needed.
- Heat a pan with 1½ tbsps oil and add 2 cardamoms.
- Add sliced onions and fry them evenly until golden brown. Next, add cashews and almonds. Cool completely.
- Later, add the cooled onions and nuts to a blender jar along with yogurt. Blend these to a smooth puree. Set aside.
- To the same pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and heat it.
- Add marinated chicken. Saute on medium heat until the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes away, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Then add the onion nut puree. Pour ½ cup water and mix well.
- Add salt, coriander powder, and garam masala. If needed, you can also add more chili powder for color.
- Mix well. Cover and cook on a low flame until chicken is cooked to tender.
- Cook further till the gravy reaches the desired consistency. If too thick, pour hot water to bring to consistency.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve chicken korma with jeera rice, plain basmati rice, butter naan, roti, or paratha.
- 1 lb bone-in chicken
- 1/4 tsp ground tumeric
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
To saute and blend
- 1-1/2 tbsp ghee
- 2 green cardamoms
- 6 cashews
- 4 almonds
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup water, as needed
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1-1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
184 total views